Monday, May 16, 2011

_________ Enough

I learned something yesterday... well... I didn't actually learn it in one day... It's been somewhat of a life-long lesson...

Here it is:

I will never be good enough, spiritual enough, knowledgable enough, holy enough, humble enough, strong enough, beautiful enough, or anything else I can think of enough.

Newsflash. Duh. Hello...

And I'm not talking about being whatever enough for judgement day.

I'm talking about being (fill in the blank here) enough to be a wife, a mom, a friend, a teacher, a student, a musician, a worship leader, a small group leader, or whatever else I am. There are a few things I've put on hold... opportunities I've passed up... projects I have procrastinated... all because I don't feel (insert adjective here) enough.

But if I wait for the day I feel _______ enough, I won't get to do any of those things... because I can count on one hand the number of days per year that I feel ________ enough. Why would I rob myself of joy and opportunity because I haven't met some arbitrary (and impossible to meet) standard I created in my own crazy head?!?!

Why would I do that? ... sadly, I probably do it everyday.

Now don't hear me wrong, y'all! (Yes, I know that sentence isn't grammatically correct.) I'm not saying any of this to justify continuing to live in sin or something. I'm saying I've been using this not being ________ enough attitude to justify sitting on the freakin' sidelines!

No comments:

Post a Comment