Monday, January 3, 2011

Aware

I can't remember exactly when I became aware of the fact that I'm a control freak... sometime within the last 3 years. I'm kind of sad that I'm now aware of it... I think I might would have rather lived on in ignorance of it. Many things illustrate my control freakishness, but few things highlight it more than a disruption in my travel plans.

To my horror, during a road trip on New Year's Eve, something went wrong with our vehicle. Also to my horror, I couldn't force (i.e. control) any repair shop in Liberal, KS to fix said vehicle on New Year's Eve afternoon. We were not really in danger. There was no huge tragedy surrounding the situation. I even went through the logical processes of telling myself those things during the disruption. The logic did little to calm me... because no matter what I did... I wasn't going to figure out a way to control the situation and make it play out in the manner I wanted!

If logic, in those situations, doesn't help, what is a control freak to do? How can I begin to exhibit self control in the area of being a control freak? How does a control freak have the self control to give up control?

If I were a fan of country music/American Idol/overplayed songs, I might ask Carrie Underwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment